Managing a lifestyle with diabetes can be challenging and frustrating. However, complete medical care under the supervision of an experienced doctor helps ease diabetes symptoms.
Diabetes is a chronic (long-lasting) health condition that affects how your body turns food into energy.
Diabetes hits your organ system (body system) when your body stops producing enough insulin or cannot use it as effectively as it should or when your cells become insensitive to insulin (stop answering to insulin), which leads to excessive blood sugar levels in the bloodstream.
As time passes, Diabetes starts to cause serious health problems like heart disease, weight loss, blurry vision, urination (peeing) a lot, and many more health issues.
What is the role of insulin in the body?
With the help of Insulin, blood sugar enters the body's cells and that allows your body to use sugar for energy. Insulin also tells the liver to store the blood sugar to use later. But if any malfunctions happen in your blood sugar level, you may have diabetes.
The ratio of Diabetes Patients in India
India is referred to as the "Diabetes Capital of the World." According to the survey, “India registered 31 million new diabetes patients in 2019-21. And the most diabetes case was found in Goa (26.4%), Puducherry, and Kerala (nearly 25%). The current ratio of Diabetes patients in India is 80 million who are already diagnosed with this disease. By 2045, this figure is predicted to rise to 135 million approx.
Diabetes can continue to harm your nerves, eyes, kidneys, and other organs if you ignore it. Educating yourself, taking the required precautions, and consulting with professionals can all help you protect your health.
Types of DIABETES:
There are a few different types of diabetes that we will discuss below:
Type 1 DIABETES:
Type 1 diabetes is called an autoimmune disease where your immune system attacks and stops your body from making insulin. But the cause of this attack is unclear so far. Approximately 10-12% of people have diabetes Type 1. Symptoms of type 1 diabetes are diagnosed primarily in children and young adults, but it can develop at any age.
Type 2 DIABETES:
In Type 2 diabetes, the body stops making enough insulin, and your body cells stop responding to the insulin. Type 2 diabetes is commonly found in up to 90% of adults, although children can be affected as well. A healthy lifestyle like eating healthy foods and exercising may help prevent Type 2 diabetes.
Type 1.5 DIABETES:
Type 1.5 diabetes also known as latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA) commonly occurs in adults (young age). Type 1.5 diabetes resembles both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. This type of diabetes can’t be prevented by diet or lifestyle.
Gestational DIABETES (diabetes in pregnant women):
Gestational diabetes occurs in pregnant women. A pregnant Woman's body stops making the insulin that is needed during pregnancy. In this case, the body starts to develop high blood sugar levels during pregnancy that cause Gestational DIABETES.
Symptoms of DIABETES
If you have any of the diabetic symptoms that are listed below, make an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible for medical care:
- Have blurry vision
- Losing excessive weight
- Feeling very hungry often
- Feeling thirsty
- Urine a lot, especially at night
- Feeling extremely tired
- Getting dehydrated or dry skin
- Suffering from slow-healing sores
- Experience a higher number of infections than usual
Making a great change in our lifestyle is the best way to prevent or delay diabetes Type 2.
These factors can help prevent type 2 diabetes along with complications, as listed below.
- Get up and Move your body as you can.
- Avoid unhealthy food and focus on Eating healthy food.
- Most important avoid sugar.
- Do not smoke tobacco and avoid alcohol.
- Stay active physically.
- Include a monthly check-up routine in your life.
Best Super Foods for Diabetes
Making good and healthy eating choices is essential to control blood sugar levels whether you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes. For Gestational DIABETES (pregnant woman) patients, you should contact your doctor before making any diet plan. Honestly, your food choice really matters when you have diabetes.
Your food choices really matter a lot when you have diabetes symptoms. Check the list of foods below that are highly rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber and that work wonders with overall health and may help prevent Diabetes.
FRUIT & VEGETABLES
The green leafy vegetable is a great source to consume vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A, C, E, and K, iron, calcium, and potassium. Green leafy vegetables is the power pack of nutrition and are low in calories.
Green leafy veggies include:
- Collard greens
- bok choy
- Green Peppers
Citrus fruits are a wonderful source of vitamins and minerals without consuming any carbohydrates. Check out the list below and include any of your favorite citrus fruits in your regular diet.
Some teachers found that these citrus fruits really can be beneficial for people with diabetes.
Berries are packed with a lot of antioxidants including vitamin C, folic acid, potassium, manganese, and polyphenols, such as anthocyanins, and tannins, and are very low in calories. Berries come in different forms such as
Berries can be a great option to satisfy your sweet tooth without raising your blood sugar level.
Tomatoes: If you are consuming raw tomatoes or tomato puree, tomato soup without sugar then you are eating vital nutrients like vitamin C, vitamin E, and potassium. Because Tomatoes are not high in sugar and really help to maintain your sugar level.
Carrots: In diabetes meal planning, carrots are considered a non-starchy vegetable. It means you are consuming natural sugar which is very quite low in a serving.
Whole Grains are extremely rich in vitamins and minerals like magnesium, B vitamins, chromium, iron, and folate that may help prevent or Manage Diabetes.
- Brown Rice
- Wheat Berries
As a diabetes patient, If you are planning to include beans in your diet then it’s a diabetes superfood. Beans are high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals including magnesium and potassium, and they provide numerous health and nutritional benefits for diabetics.
- Kidney beans
- pinto beans
- black beans
Dried beans are generally preferred over canned beans because they are more affordable and carry less sodium.
Consuming protein really beneficial for diabetes patients to improve blood sugar levels, and preserve lean body mass.
- lean meat
- Chicken or turkey without the skin
- Nuts (Walnut) & seeds (chia seeds & pumpkin seeds)
- meat substitutes, such as tofu
But try to stay away from salted processed proteins.
Avoid Foods to control blood sugar (Diabetes)
Having unhealthy foods may cause harmful effects on your body, such as increased levels of blood sugar and weight gain. To keep your blood sugar under control, avoid unhealthy meals and beverages that contain high carbs.
You should avoid the following high-carb foods and beverages:
- Processed meats: Avoid processed food such as bacon, ham, salami, or beef jerky to avoid heart diseases, high blood sugar levels, weight gain, and cancer. Replace processed meat with lean mean.
- Sugary foods & drinks: Stay away from Sugary foods, such as candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, sweetened cereals, and canned fruits with added sugar.
Avoid sweet drinks such as packed juice, regular soda, and regular sports or energy drinks.
- white bread
- white pasta
- some cereals
- some crackers
- many baked goods
White rice, tortillas, bread, and pasta - especially those made with white flour.
- Avoid Starchy Vegetables: Starchy veggies are higher in carbs and can affect blood sugar levels such as white potatoes, corn, and peas.
- Diabetes patients have to avoid alcohol consumption, as well as their intake of fatty food and salt.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Blood Sugar Control
Ayurveda also recommends several herbal treatments to maintain your blood sugar levels and help to keep diabetes disease at bay.
- DARUHARIDRA:- It improves insulin sensitivity and promotes the uptake of glucose by the cells and tissues.
- VIJAYSAR:- It prevents pancreatic cells from the damage caused by free radicals and enhances insulin secretion. Thereby managing blood sugar levels.
- KEUKAND:- Reduces blood sugar level.
- KARANJA:- Improves insulin sensitivity.
- BABOOL:- Excellent Healing and Anti-diabetic properties
- KARELA :- Possess glucose & Cholesterol-lowering properties
- VASANT & KHADIRA:- Detoxifies the body and possesses Anti-hyperglycemic and Antimicrobial properties
- GUDMAR, KALA JEERA, MANJISTHA:- Purifies blood, Maintains liver health, Curbs sugar cravings
- METHI BEEJ & ANJANI:- Soak 1-2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water at night and drink with seeds empty stomach to control blood sugar level.
- BLACK PEPPER & CHANDAN:- It Is used for treating digestive tract problems, fluid retention, and coughs; and for “blood purification.
- Amla: It is a powerful Ayurvedic herb, high in vitamin C and antioxidants that help regulate diabetes.
- Daalacheenee: Cinnamon is quite beneficial for diabetes patients to maintain blood sugar levels.
- Aloe Vera: Consuming aloe vera on an empty stomach helps to keep your blood pressure stable.
Timing meals and eating on a consistent schedule can help improve a person’s blood sugar management. Some research shows that eating healthy food, morning walks, and doctor consultations to avoid health risks helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce insulin resistance.k